- Poor re-usability
- Insufficient performance
- All in all: architectural design decisions not in line with functional and non-functional requirements
Systematic architecture evaluation provides a powerful tool to
- Assess your status quo of software and system architecture
- Identify shortcomings
- Enable good architecture design decisions
The scenario-based approach
- Makes abstract quality attribute requirements tangible and justifiable
- Enables the usage of the method from early development stages although it is not limited to that
Our architecture evaluation workshop can provide you with the unique methodical competence for architecture evaluation in combination with deep knowledge in the field of software-intensive automotive embedded systems.
To do so, Elektrobit Consulting adapts the ideas of an Architecture Trade-off Analysis Method (ATAM) workshop as developed by the Software Engineering Institute of the Carnegie Mellon University, for a tailored workshop format.
Onsite two-day workshop on establishing the right architecture
In a two-day workshop, we will facilitate an architectural analysis together with your team. At the very beginning, it will be necessary to speak about your current situation, prerequisites, etc. After the workshop, we will facilitate in cooperation with you a retrospective to e.g. think about necessary adaptions and further proceeding.
All in all, it will be structured into following steps:
Phase 1 – Project alignment
Align on prerequisites and other necessary inputs for the workshop, such as:
- Your business goals associated with the project or product development
- Your technical goals associated with the project or product development
- Required participants: Project Management, Line Management, Product Management, Developers, Architects, Testers
- Supporting functions: Sales, Marketing
Phase 2 – Conduct architecture evaluation workshop on-site
The actual architecture evaluation workshop can be conducted in two different variants depending on your current project situation and objectives.
|Variant||Variant 1: Evaluate your architecture status quo||Variant 2: Enable well-guided architecture development right from the start|
|Primary workshop goal||Evaluate the status quo and degree to which the existing architecture fulfills your existing or upcoming business and technical goals||Guide architectural development and trade-off decisions based on well-defined scenarios derived from your business and technical goals|
|Variant 1: Evaluate your architecture status quo|
|Primary workshop goal||Evaluate the status quo and degree to which the existing architecture fulfills your existing or upcoming business and technical goals|
|Variant 2: Enable well-guided architecture development right from the start|
|Primary workshop goal||Guide architectural development and trade-off decisions based on well-defined scenarios derived from your business and technical goals|
Phase 3 – Restrospective
Some days up to 2-3 weeks after the workshop we are happy to discuss with you. Receive your executive summary concluding our findings out of the workshop.
Benefits of the architecture evaluation workshop
- Enhanced communication while determining the business and technical drivers for a project
- Project and business goals are clear and utilized as basis for architecture development and evaluation
- Market-relevant features are implemented
- Connection between external needs and the internal implementation process is ensured
- Metrics for architecture evaluation based on business and technical goals are in place
- Efforts for each feature-respective requirement are determined
- Relevant test cases and strategies are identified
Other EB Automotive Consulting solutions and services
EB’s Functional Safety efforts began in 2008. Since then, EB has become recognized as one of the leading companies in the area of Functional Safety. Our certified safety products and safety consultancy are used by many notable businesses, worldwide.
EB has defined methodologies to combine agile software development, used in the broader software engineering industry for over 15 years, with automotive industry standards and requirements. These methods let automotive developers quickly address the continuously changing and complex demands of market.
Explore our trainings related to our automotive consulting topics in our new training webshop.