A connected, but not updatable vehicle is a huge cybersecurity threat. Therefore, vehicles need to be updatable over the air. Apart from security, consumers are used to the short innovation cycles as offered by their smartphones and computers. That is why over-the-air updates are becoming the method of choice for distributing everything from infotainment system features to operating system security patches and ECU updates or configuration changes.
The task of updating critical vehicle functions places high demands on the security and reliability of the processes used for this purpose. Signal-based communication in Classic AUTOSAR has been replaced with service-oriented communication in Adaptive AUTOSAR. With this system architecture, new applications can be integrated into the entire system more easily.
In connection with OTA updates, Adaptive AUTOSAR provides key functions as standard for purposefully updating functions and components. While Classic AUTOSAR has always required a full update of the application software, Adaptive AUTOSAR supports differential updates.
Industry-leading OTA software: EB cadian Sync
As a leader in designing, developing, and integrating advanced software into many of the world’s best-known automotive brands, Elektrobit is already powering millions of cars around the world, but also transforms the automotive industry towards next-generation in-vehicle platforms.
With EB cadian Sync, Elektrobit offers a reliable, scalable, flexible, and secure toolchain for software and firmware updates over the air. Read more about enabling software updates over the air for next-generation vehicles in our tech paper “EB cadian Sync – Software updates over the air”:
Our decade-long experience paired with the deep understanding of HPCs, AUTOSAR, and future in-vehicle architectures enabled EB to develop an OTA solution that meets Classic AUTOSAR and even Adaptive AUTOSAR requirements.
The scalable back-end includes a ready-to-use software distribution platform.
The platform-independent, modular, on-board components allow us to adjust our solution to your system architecture.
The product includes secure end-to-end communication and data storage as well as Crypto logistics concepts for key management and derivation strategies for ECUs, vehicles, and fleets.
Meeting requirements of multiple platforms
- The EB update master is available for a wide range of operating systems, including Linux and Adaptive AUTOSAR.
- Independent of the preferred platform, the update master provides the seamless integration into the OTA update environment.
The back-end is a service platform
- Scalable, modular, and agnostic back-end solution for fleet, software, and campaign management
- Can be seamlessly integrated into your system architecture
- One platform with the same user interface concept for different services
Save bandwidth, data traffic, and increase success ratio
- Two-step campaign approach to reduce bandwidth usage by eliminating unnecessary downloads. A mismatch between the expected and the existing vehicle configuration will be detected and resolved.
- EB is supplying a delta update solution from Argus that inherits patent-pending differential algorithm. In certain hardware environments, the delta update does not even require an adaption of the update target.
- With A/B updates you can achieve a zero downtime of the vehicle for the whole update process.