Vehicle software systems are becoming increasingly complex. At the same time, there’s a need for more and more systems and sensors to connect within the car and between cars (car2x) on the road.
Customers are demanding that vehicles integrate with their mobile devices, the Internet, and apps. The constant change this imposes requires rapid development with ever-shorter innovation cycles for automotive software. At the same time, an ever-growing number of on-board systems and sensors must communicate with one another and with external sites. That requires putting in place security mechanisms to protect systems from the damage that might result from unauthorized, external access.
- Tailor-made security solutions based on EB’s extensive knowledge of the individual specifications of major carmakers and suppliers
- Standardized and efficient embedded cryptography architectures based on:
- Customer-specific software
- Comprehensive support during the entire software life cycle
- Maintenance services
- Proven concepts: EB’s security solutions are already on the road in millions of cars.
We are an active member of the “Secure Hardware-Software Architectures for Robust Computing Systems” (SHARCS) initiative, a consortium aiming to design, build and demonstrate secure-by-design system architectures that achieve end-to-end security.
With more than 20 years of expertise in the field of automotive software development—and more than 10 years of experience in engineering security processes and solutions—Elektrobit (EB) Automotive is the right partner for carmakers and Tier 1 suppliers when electronic control units (ECUs) require a secure software base.
EB Automotive offers custom security solutions for embedded systems. Our comprehensive portfolio covers:
- Security solution design
- Integration into different customer environments and processes, including:
- Implementation of:
- Cryptographic routines (e.g., AUTOSAR CSM and CAL)
- Customer-specific security solutions
- Special solutions for multi-core ECUs
- Combined safety and security solutions
- Support for cryptographic hardware such as Secure Hardware Extension (SHE) and Hardware Security Module (HSM)
- Porting of HW platforms and compilers
- The qualifications for mass production
- Maintenance services
Use cases and Features
EB has successfully executed mass–production-approved security implementations for car manufacturers like Audi, BMW, Daimler, Volkswagen, GM, and various Tier 1 suppliers, including features such as:
- Flash protection
- Software-enabling (carmaker-specific or according to HIS)
- Anti-theft protection
- Mileage protection
- Secure on-board communication
- Data protection
- Support for cryptographic hardware, e.g., SHE and HSM
- Compression and decompression
For customized applications, we prepare individual solutions and work with our customers through the complete development process and after. We help during the concept phase and requirements analysis—including design and testing—through the documentation, support, and software integration stages. When it comes to the start of production (SOP), EB aligns with customers and offers comprehensive maintenance services.
Integration with other EB tresos products & technologies
EB Automotive security solutions are based on cryptography for embedded systems, e.g., protection via authentication mechanisms or signature validations. They integrate seamlessly into EB’s basic software.
Signals exchanged are used in functional safety applications as well as in applications that are potentially subject to embedded security issues.
There is no safety without security, and vice versa. Learn more about our EB tresos Safety products.